Monday, December 21, 2009

possiblilities

A job, a new town, dead bugs, relearning typing and raised rent is a run down of this blog.

First off apparently me telling the landlord that I didn't think we would be able to pay the raised rent and that her husband needed to talk to my husband did the trick. He still isn't back from the States so my hubby hasn't had a chance to talk to him. But when she came to pick up this months rent she told him they decided they were not raising it. So way to go me. :)

The job and the new town are all in the same. I may have mentioned in a previous post how I had a phone interview for a job. This job would be in San Luis, Potosi and I would be teaching Mexican nurses how to pass the NCLEX (or state board test). This is perfect for me. I love nursing and I love to teach. Most likely I will also work some hours at the IMSS because apparently this program works closely with them. Also these nurses will have just come from a fairly strenuous Medical English course so my class is to be in English. I'm sure from time to time I will need to speak in Spanish to help them to understand more clearly. This program has been started in 4 other locations in Mexico all of which were on the coast or near the boarder for the States. The one I will be working for is a trial because they are unsure if it will work well in central Mexico. I received an e-mail the other day that said that I was for sure the candidate for the job. I'm sure all contracts and such will end up waiting till after the beginning of the year. But my husband is already asking about if he can transfer and stay with the store. He doesn't really like his job but it has good benefits and he has almost 2 years in there and doesn't want to loose that. Hopefully when I'm also working he can eventually go part time and get some schooling so he can do what he wants to.

This brings me to the typing thing. We decided to get a PC finally, so far we have been using a laptop. We bought that laptop in 96 when my husband got deported so we could chat via web cam and he could use it anywhere including cafes. That poor thing has been used like a PC for almost 4 years now. Plus we figure I will be needing a separate computer with the new job. Of course we bought it here and therefore it is a Spanish keyboard. Apparently you can put it into English mode but I figure its a good lesson for me. Its a little frustrating and I cant seem to find some of the punctuation keys, thankfully spell check catches most of those words. Although I just noticed that cant is not underlined. Well I will have to ask Issac about that when he gets home.

And lastly the bugs, oh yes the never ending war against la cucarachas. We may have found our solution and it had been suggested a long time ago. Its borax powder, now that's not what it was called where I got it but its the same thing. We sprayed about a week ago and only saw dead bugs for a few days. yesterday and today we have seen some live ones so I sprayed again today. This stuff is suppose to be safe for my girls but to be safe I am only spraying places out of reach. Its the first thing that we have tried that later we have actually found dead bugs. And actually any live ones we have found are walking funny or out in broad daylight which is odd so I'm thinking they are a little doped up. So if any of you want to try it just go to your closest pet store (they are everywhere here) and ask for the powder to kill cucarachas. That is what I did and they knew just what I was looking for. Its a powder which in my case we added to water in a spray bottle and sprayed everywhere. When it dries you will see the dust and be able to avoid it pretty well.

So that was pretty long but a good update on life here in Tepa for the Hernandez clan. I'm nervous about our up coming move and the new job but I know God is with us and will carry us safely to where we need to be.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all fronts, Amanda (new job, move, dead roaches). I am sure you will handle anything that comes along with wisdom. FelĂ­z Navidad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new post! You are the right person for the job! How could they not think that one! Hello you worked there for years and when to college there! They made a great choice! But, congrats and I hope that all will work well with the move! Working with the IMSS, I am guessing is great experience and you will be able to have a great career in Mexico! See it is all working out and God has a plan! So keep up the good work! And yes Having Issac go back to school later is such a great idea so he can find a great job that he loves!! Good luck and have a Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting for you! Congratulations and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. COngratulations! You will be perfect for the job! Everything will work out for you guys this year...Good luck with your move and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Amanda, I have faith that things will continue to get better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about the job and .... the rent. But especially am glad you are winning the war on the cockroaches. As a long time resident of New Orlean and now Honduras, I know the battle can be won through Borax. It's the drug of choice we use in NOLA for those pests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I am so happy for you. Where is San Luis de potosi? Is it in Jalisco?

    ReplyDelete