Monday, October 12, 2009

Yum In The Tum

By no means am I or will I ever be a cook blogger. I leave that up to a few others who I frequent and get recipes from. But with the holidays coming up and now that pumpkins are everywhere I started craving pumpkin pie. Since my husband had already requested I make him a cheese cake this week before I leave I decided to put the two together. Of course I made it yesterday because if I'm gonna make it I'm gonna enjoy it. So as most of my readers who live in Mexico have figured out Mexican cheese cake is nothing like American cheese cake. Mexican cheese cake is very dull and not creamy. I was seriously sad the first time I took a bit of Mexican cheese cake.
I have always enjoyed gram cracker crusts and they are so easy to make its normally what I do for pies. A friend of mine recently sent me a different recipie for cheese cake and she made the crust with Canalitas. This is the most fabulous pie crust Iv ever had. So here goes.

This recipe filled my 8x5 casserole dish to the brim.
CRUST
5-8 packages of Canalitas (the packages that have 6 cookies in them,the number depends on how thick you want the crust. We like it thick so we used almost 8 pck)
1-2 sticks of butter (again a preference depends on how many cookies you use)
Smash cookies (my daughter loves to help with this) and squish the butter in using your hands until it makes a stiff dough. then push into pan.

PIE FILLING

3pck cream cheese
5 lg eggs
3/4c sugar
3/4c brown sugar packed
1/4 tsp nutmeg (we couldn't find any so I ground up cloves and it was yummy)
1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups pumpkin mush (All you have to do is cut up a pumkin clean out the yukies and bake, steam or microwave for about 30-50min, until soft, scoop out the meat and puree in a blender)
1/4 cup crema


Using an electric hand blender blend the cheese until soft, slowly add the remaining ingredients one at a time in the order above and blending well between each. pour into pie crust. Cook in preheated oven at 325 for 1 1/2h - 1h 45min until top looks to get a little browner. When you remove it the pie will look very liquid. If you have made cheese cake you know this but I didn't and the first one I made I thought it was ruined at this point. Let cool in pan on rack then chill over night. And then you get to have Yum in Your Tum in the morning. ;)

3 comments:

  1. that post made my mouth water. I am not a baker but I love cheesecake. When my son lived with us (in Mexico) he was always on the quest for good cheesecake, but nothing ever measured up to my mom's version. One of these days I have to get the recipe from her.
    That canela crust sounds ideal for pumpkin flavor!
    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! I guess its the American in us that makes us crave all things pumpkin in the Fall. Lucky you for finding pumpkin! I have been looking all over the mercado for them with no luck. I'm hoping my luck will change soon!

    BTW, I hope you have a great time in the States. Live it up and enjoy it all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesli here the pumpkins are overflowing at soriana and last year they had them threw into Dec.
    Oh and thanks for the well wishes to the States. E-mail me if you want me to bring you anything back.

    ReplyDelete